By: Onwuasoanya Fcc Jones
The most popular news in the world today is the news of Joseph Robinette Biden Jnr’s election as the 46th President-elect of the United States of America. This automatically makes him, arguably, the most popular man in the world, and from 20th of January, 2021, will become the most powerful man in the world. As a political marketer, I had to dig for some obvious similarities he shares with the man whose chances are bright to become the 6th elected President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the 18th of February, 2023. Some of the similarities I found are:
- Biden began his political career as a very young man, getting elected to the American Senate in 1972 at the very young age of 29. Owelle Rochas Okorocha began his political career at a young age. He was elected to the National Constitutional Conference at the age of 32 in 1994.
- Born on the 20th of November, 1942, President-elect Biden is a Christian of the Roman Catholic faith. Born on 22nd September. 1962, Rochas Okorocha is a Christian of the Roman Catholic faith.
- While Biden’s father was a wealthy businessman before Biden was born, the old man fell into some financial difficulties before Biden’s birth, hence, he experienced poverty as a child and had to at a time live with his grandparents, but through diligent work and consistent efforts, Biden is the huge success he is today. Rochas came from a poor home, and had to spend his earliest years in his father’s village in Ogboko, but by dint of hardwork, Rochas broke even and is today considered a wealthy man and a successful politician.
- Biden has a Law degree from the Syracuse University College of Law. Rochas has a Law degree from the University of Jos.
- Biden is a successful family man and his children and wife count as his best friends. Rochas is one of Nigerian politician’s most successful family man, he enjoys an enviable affinity with his wife and six children.
- Biden is a people-centric politician. While he was a staff of a local Republican politician in Delaware, he registered as an Independent in 1970 when he won a councillorship seat and in 1972, he defeated a Republican Senator to clinch the Delaware Senate seat with funds generated from family members. He was barely given a chance to succeed, but he did. Rochas rose to his present political status on the back of the ordinary people rather than on the back of the elites, like Biden, he warmed his way into the hearts of the people and his victories at elections have mostly been propelled by the ordinary people rather than the elites.
- Joe Biden is charismatic and an orator. He could be described as that man who could steal your heart with his tongue. Rochas is a charismatic orator and one of his greatest secrets of political success is his oratorical prowess.
- Joseph Biden is a humanitarian. One of his most notable effort in this area being; The Biden Cancer Initiative through which he helps cancer patients to speed up access to treatment as well as funding researches in cancer related medicine. Through the Rochas Foundation, Okorocha has been able to empower thousands of poor children with quality education.
- Biden has a knack for defeating incumbents. On his way to winning his first Senatorial election, he defeated, Caleb Biggs, an incumbent Republican, and to emerge the President-elect, he defeated incumbent Donald Trump. Rochas defeated an incumbent governor on his way to emerging the governor of Imo State in 2011.
- Biden served as a Senator and was a long-term member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Rochas is a Senator of the Federal Republic and a member of Nigerian Senate’s Foreign Affairs Committee.