Umahi wants to be president in 2023 and he considers the APC a sure pathway to the realisation of that ambition.
Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State has told the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that he’s done with the party and would be signing for the All Progressives Congress (APC) in this season’s political transfer window.
Umahi’s possible defection to the APC has been grapevine fodder for quite a while. Earlier in the week, the APC in Ebonyi announced that Umahi was on the verge of joining their fold.
5 reasons why APC is better for Umahi
1) To position self for Igbo presidency – there has been talks of Zoning the presidency to the south-east geo-political zone in 2023 and the region is in dare need of a national playa to fill the void left by outgoing governor of Imo State Rochas Okorocha, who have fell out with APC, lost his state and his senatorial mandate being threatened making him a non-contender for the country’s top job. Umahi is a performer with a track record of infrastructural development in Ebonyi State. His resume’ is a force to reckon with and if he plays his politics in APC well he may stand a chance of clinching the party’s ticket in 2023.
2) To become the only south-east governor in the APC – There’s no doubt the APC is unpopular in the south-east going by the results of the presidential elections in 2015 and 2019, in both elections the APC have one governor in the region in the person of Rochas Okorocha of Imo State, haven now lost it in the just concluded governorship elections in Imo State to the PDP, the APC no longer have a governor in the region. Should Governor Dave Umahi eventually defect to the APC he will become the leader of the party in the south-east geo-political zone.
3) Work closely with his “boss” Buhari – love for Buhari is something Governor Dave Umahi has not hidden from the public even before the Presidential campaigns; he has consistently said that apart from his creator that Buhari is his only boss. He would love to say more than that should he defect to the APC. Defecting to the APC will not only give him the opportunity to express himself freely, he will equally have a better working relationship with the president all for the good of Ebonyi State.
4) To fully express his progressive tendencies – Governor Dave Umahi is more of a progressive than we know, his giant strides in Ebonyi State reminds one of Former Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola in his best days as governor. Defection to the APC will do a whole lot of wonders for the people of Ebonyi State.
5) To play politics in the national stage – For most governors especially in the second term, they have their eyes set on a bigger aspiration, this is the reason Peter Obi defected from APGA to the PDP shortly after his reign as governor of Anambra State, the same reason is also why Governor Willie Obiano is romancing with President Buhari and the APC. The odds favours Dave Umahi in the APC should he eventually defect which will place him in the spotlight as the only APC governor in the south-east region.