The man Hope Uzodinma has been trailed by a life of fraud. In fact this not the first time he is buying a judgement from the Supreme Court.
In 2011, Hope Uzodinma rigged out Senator Osita Izunaso during the Imo West Senatorial Zone PDP primaries. Izunaso took him to court and won both at the high court and the court of appeal.
True to his nature, Hope Uzodinma did his magic and purchased judgement at the Supreme Court to emerge. That was how Hope Uzodinma became a Senator.
Never has there been a man whose life has been filled with fraud and forgery at every turn.
The records are out there in the public domain.
- Before he was busted in 2012, Hope Uzodinma had in an interview with ThisDay, on his Facebook page and other documents, indicated that he holds a degree in Arts/Criminology from Washington University, St Louis Missouri United States.
Investigations at the Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri showed that Hope Uzodinma never smelled a degree from the ranking University. Every document he has to that effect are all forged.
After he was exposed, he quickly deleted his Academic records from his profile. Till date he is yet to make his academic record public. One begins to wonder what he used on his INEC form.
- In 2005, Spring Bank Plc, lodged a complaint with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against Hope Uzodinma for fraudulent diversion and obtaining money under false pretense (a.k.a, 419).
After a thorough investigation, the EFCC found a prima facie case against Hope Uzodinma and filed a nine-count charge against him at the High Court of Lagos State, Ikeja Division in Charge No. ID/82C/2008: F.R.N vs HOPE UZODINMA.
According to a petition filed by Festus Keyamo (yes, the same Festus Keyamo who is now a Minister in Buhari’s government), since the charges were filed against him, Hope Uzodinma has been running from pillar to post trying to frustrate his arraignment.
- Hope Uzodinma as a majority shareholder and the Managing Director of Transurb Technical Consult Ltd, was owing Bank PHB up to the sum of N690,000,000( Six Hundred and Ninety Million Naira), not to mention his debts with other banks.
As a result there is a subsisting suit pending against the company at the High Court of Justice, Lagos, Lagos State Division before Justice Onyeabor.
The suit is to the effect that Transurb Technical Consult be wound up and the Directors (including Hope Uzodinma) be declared bankrupt as loans collected by the company have not been serviced and cannot be paid.
- Hope Uzodinma was involved in a 12 million dollars fraud case that has been lingering since 2016.
In the heat of the APC Governorship Primaries in 2018, Hope Uzodinma was arrested for defrauding the Nigerian Ports Authority of $12 million (4.3 billion naira) in a contract scam.
Uzodinma was arrested for the failure of his company to execute a contract of 12 million US dollars the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, awarded him, for the dredging of the Calabar channel.
After evading arrest for about a year, Hope Uzodinma was arrested in Abuja on the directives of the Special Presidential Investigative Panel for the Recovery of Public Property, SPIPRPP.
According to Chief Okoi Obono-Obla, who is the chairman of the panel, Uzodinma begged to be released from detention after he allegedly developed high blood pressure. He was released on administrative bail, to return at a stipulated date for questioning. He has not returned since.
- Prior to the $12 million fraud case, Hope Uzodinma is facing a two-count criminal charge of non-discosure of assets before the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court.
The charge, which was assigned to trial Justice Babatunde Quadri, read: “That you, Senator Hope Uzodinma (Male) on or about March 5, 2018, being a public officer with the National Assembly, Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, committed an offence to wit: refused to declare your assets without reasonable excuse and upon notice to declare your assets before the Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property, Abuja, contrary to and punishable under Section 3 (3) (1) (a) of the Recovery of Public Property (Special Provision) Act 2004.
- As a result of the fraud case, and following the introduction of Executive Order 6, Hope Uzodinma is on a travel ban alongside 38 other treasury looters by the Federal Government.
- Hope Uzodinma is also facing another fraud case in court levelled against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Hope Uzodinma connived with two companies, Smiec Engineering & Chemical Construction Company, and Niger Global Engineering &Technical Company, to issue a UBA dud cheque of 200 million naira to Chitex Ventures, owned by one Mr Chima Akuzie.
In September 2018, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, presided over by Justice Abdullahab Mohammed ordered for the arrest of Hope Uzodinma following his repeated refusal to appear before the court to defend himself.
As you might have guessed already, Hope Uzodinma has been evading arrest ever since.
The simple truth remains that Hope Uzodinma is notorious for fraudulent controversies.
© International Centre for Investigative Journalism