President Muhammadu Buhari has offered condolences to the families of those affected by a boat capsize in Kebbi State.
Describing the news as a devastating tragedy, Buhari in a statement through his spokesperson Garba Shehu appreciated all those that have been involved in the rescue and recovery efforts.
It will be recalled as previously reported by Akelicious that an overloaded boat ferrying around 160 passengers on Wednesday sank in the Niger River, with many people reportedly missing.
This was disclosed by the administrative head of Ngaski district, Abdullahi Buhari Wara.
He stated that the boat left central Niger state and was heading to northwest Kebbi state when it split and sank.
Reacting to the incident, President Buhari “described the news of the capsizing of a boat in Ngaski Local Government Area of Kebbi State as devastating, offering his heartfelt condolences to the families of those affected by this tragedy.”
“From media reports, there are indications that the boat was overloaded and there is no official confirmation on the number of casualties.”
“While efforts are ongoing to recover more survivors, the President extends his gratitude to all those involved in the rescue efforts and wishes those injured from the accident quick recovery.”
Meanwhile, the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on media and publicity, Garba Shehu, said his principal has no interest in contesting the 2023 general election.
The presidential aide said the burning of police stations and offices of the Independent National Electoral Commission won’t hinder elections in 2023.
Shehu stated this on Tuesday while featuring on an Arise TV programme.