Professor Itse Sagay (SAN), Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) on Tuesday said Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu is not doing enough in enforcing the safety guidelines aimed at curb the spread of COVID-19 in Lagos state.
The governor at the weekend announced plans to revert to full lockdown if there is no improvement in adherence to the public health guidelines.
He noted that in the first week of the easing of the lockdown, there had been a repetitive and flagrant disregard for the earlier announced health guidelines.
However, speaking in a chat with Daily Independent, Sagay said aside ignoring the directives on facemasks and social distancing, okada riders which have been banned in all parts of the state are now moving about flagrantly without anyone arresting them.
Sagay said: “It is my view that the Lagos State government is not making enough efforts to enforce its own directives. It has been very laid back in that regard.
“Because of that, we now find that people refuse to wear facemasks, they fail to observe social distancing and also gathering together very tightly at banks and other places.
“Also, we are now also seeing commercial motorcycles (okada) that has been banned riding in areas where they have been banned without anybody challenging them.
“I have seen okadas in Surulere, Eko Bridge, Lekki Phase 1 and in several other places. Some even carry two passengers holding tightly to themselves in areas where the state government said they have been totally banned and there is no LASTMA, RRS, Police or any Lagos state official to arrest them.
“In other words, the ban on okada which was being observed is now being flouted in addition to others who are not even observing the safety guidelines on Coronavirus.
“So, it is a double problem now in Lagos. Okada men are now riding recklessly on the roads without any arrest whatsoever. I blame the Lagos state government for that.”
While supporting the governor’s threat for a total lockdown, Sagay said in view of the non-compliance of the safety guidelines, Lagos should be locked down for at least one month and should be extended if at the end, people still fail to comply.
He, however, appealed to Governor Sanwo-Olu to give Lagosians time to restock food at home.