PRESS RELEASE ON THE UNFORTUNATE ORAIFITE INCIDENT BY NDI-IGBO UNITED FORUM WORLDWIDE TODAY 09TH DECEMBER, 2019.
Further to the need to address urgent issues of National interest, the National Executive Council (NEC) of NDI-IGBO UNITED FORUM (NUF) WORLDWIDE rose from her emergency meeting in Enugu and took decisions on various issues. One of the key areas of deliberation was the unfortunate incident at one of the Igbo Community in Anambra State called Oraifite in Ekwusigo Local Government Area. NUF wishes to state as follows:
- That we join Ndigbo and every well meaning Nigerian to strongly condemn in it’s entirety the build up and eventful but avoidable incident that took place between 30th November and 2nd December, 2019;
- That we join lovers of peace in Ala Igbo and Nigerians to mourn every precious life that was lost in that incident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families at this trying time;
- That we align with ALL the decisions of the Oraaifite Improvement Union (OIU) and other well meaning stakeholders aimed at restoring lasting peace and to forestall a repeat of such and similar incidence in Oraifite;
- That we call on all other communities that have potential of a repeat of Oraifite incident to proactively act to nip that in the bud and that no party should exploit the already tensed situation;
- That we welcome the support extended to Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies by OIU to diligently investigate the carnage with a view to unravelling the remote and immediate causes of the incident and bring to book person, persons or group found culpable;
- That NUF desires peace in Ala Igbo that is a panacea to promoting our businesses, welfare and set us on the part of full economic and political recovery;
- That state government/ Local governments, traditional institutions, Town Unions and security agencies must form partnership that works aimed at sustaining peace in every domain. We also fully supported the idea of practical community policing; and
- That as a Sociopolitical organization that we shall continue to explore all avenues to ensuring cohesion among Ndigbo wherever Ndigbo may be maka Odinma Ndigbo n’ihi Igwe bu ike.
Mazi Agodi KANU
Acting Secretary General.