The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, on Sunday, said the Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on Monday (tomorrow) but at the end of February.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, had said the Third Mainland Bridge would be reopened by February 15 during the inspection of construction work on major roads and bridges in Lagos State in January.
The minister explained that the EndSARS protest caused the initial extension of the completion date.
Popoola told the News Agency of Nigeria on the telephone that the bridge would experience one more total closure from February 19 to 21 before completion of the project for the final re-opening by the end of February.
“Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on the 15th of February 2021 as announced earlier on.
“In order not to create untold hardship for the motoring public using the Third Mainland Bridge for their daily activities, the contractor is not allowed to close the Third Mainland Bridge during the week to cast concrete.
“Lane markings on the completed section must be completed,’’ he said.
“The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing regrets the inconveniences the extra days may have caused the Lagosians,’’ he said.
Popoola explained that the bridge would be totally shut down from midnight on February 19 to 21 to cast concrete on the last expansion joint.
He said that the concrete would require between three to four days to set before the final preparations to finally re-open the entire bridge to traffic.
These processes, he said, could drag to the end of February when the highway would eventually be opened up.
“We are looking at the end of the month for the reopening of the bridge. That is the end of this February,” he added.