The University of Lagos, UNILAG, has reacted to speculations that the institution gave an honourary doctorate degree to 5 Star Music CEO, E-Money.
E-Money, brother of popular artiste and Limpopo crooner, Kcee, had on his Instagram account posted pictures of him bagging a degree at an event held in UNILAG.
The businessman wrote: “To God be the glory! I have just received a Honorary Doctorate Degree in Business Management and Corporate Governance at an event held inside the University of Lagos.
“I’m joined here by the incoming Deputy Governor of Lagos, Dr Obafemi Hamzat whose father, Olatunji Hamzat (an influential politician) also bagged a Doctorate Degree.”
But a statement signed by Mrs. C. Taiwo Oloyede, Principal Assistant Registrar,
UNILAG Communication Unit, listed the personalities who were conferred with honourary awards by the Chancellor of the University.
The statement, which included photos of the awardees, advised the public to disregard any contrary claim.
It reads: “The University of Lagos, on Thursday, April 4, 2019, at its 50th (2018) Convocation Ceremonies (Day 3), conferred Distinguished & Emeritus Professorship and Honorary Doctorate Degrees on the following eminent personalities:
1. Prof. James Dele Olowokudejo, a Professor of Plant Taxonomy, – Distinguished Professorship award.
2. Prof. Sulaiman A. Adekola of the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Emeritus Professorship award
3. Alhaji Lateef Olufemi Okunnu, a foremost Lawyer & a former Federal Commissioner for Works & Housing- Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University.
4. Dr. Daniel K. Olukoya, founder of Mountain of Fire Miracles Ministries and a Molecular Geneticist – Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University.
5. Mr. Jim Ovia, founder and Chairman of ZenithBank – Honourary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University of Lagos.
Please note that the University’s official colours are maroon and gold and the personalities who were conferred with these honorary awards by the Chancellor of the University (see pictures) are in the appropriate attire.
They received these awards in recognition for their roles in developing the country.
It is worthy to note that the afore-mentioned personalities are the only individuals who were conferred with these awards by the University of Lagos at the 50th Convocation Ceremonies, thus, any story stating otherwise is false and should be amended accordingly.”