We collected N5m ransom for Lagos fire service boss, says suspect


A member of the gang allegedly involved in the abduction of the Lagos Fire Service acting director, Rasaki Musibau, has said the gang collected N5 million as ransom for his release and not N50 million as being speculated. The fire service boss was abducted by gunmen in Ikorodu alongside six others. The victims were released three days later after ransom had been collected.

The suspect, Blessing Boyo, 29, who was paraded alongside Smart Alfred yesterday at the command headquarters, Ikeja, by the Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu, said the gang leader identified simply as MK who is still at large, had told them the money brought was N5 million and that he would share it when they returned to base.

READ  NAPTIP lauds Ugwuanyi’s development strides, support for frontline health workers

Narrating how they kidnapped Musibau and six others at about 8:00p.m. on April 6, Boyo said they used timbers to block the road before ambushing their victims. He said the four guns used for the operation were brought by MK, who allegedly lured him into kidnapping.

Boyo said: “MK called me for the operation. He had guys in the bush. He brought out guns and said it was kidnapping work. I have not kidnapped before. I used to carry timber with an operator. We blocked the road with woods, stopped vehicles and kidnapped them. I have not been given any money. He said we should return to base first. It was MK that was with the money. He told us that the money was N5 million.

READ  Eid-el-Fitri: Embrace Fairness, Equity, Justice, CAN Tells Elected Leaders

“My first time in Lagos was on April 5. I am from Arogbo in Ondo State. We did not beat the man. We took the man to the bush. He was fed cooked food. MK’s boys cooked Egusi and Eba and the man was served.”

Corroborating Boyo’s statement, Alfred, also a native of Arogbo in Ondo, said they followed MK because he fooled them he was a timbre operator and needed carriers. He said it was when they got to the bush that he told them it was kidnapping job and since he was jobless, he joined him.

“I did not understand what he meant. He showed us guns and said this is the work he is into. I asked if he wanted to kill me and he said he will show me how he does the work. As we got to where we wanted to operate, he cut a wood and blocked the road. MK fled when police arrested us,” he said.

READ  Update: Ex-defence Chief, Alex Badeh, Killed

Muazu told reporters that the suspects were arrested on April 10 at about 5:30a.m. at Ibafun along Ikorodu-Ijebu Ode Expressway, a boundary community with Ogun State.According to the police chief, all kidnapped victims regained their freedom following a sustained and well-coordinated operation by the command’s Tactical Anti-kidnapping unit. “They all confessed to the commission of the crime. Two single barrel guns were recovered from the suspects. Investigation is ongoing,” Muazu said.

Recommended For You

Leave a Reply