Kidnappers Release Two South Koreans Abducted In Rivers State After Two Weeks

bandits

SaharaReporters reports that two South Korean nationals who were kidnapped by gunmen in Rivers state earlier this month have been released.

According to Seoul’s foreign ministry in a statement on Saturday, the released Koreans are in good health and they have been moved to a safe area, Reuters reports.

“On Friday, we secured custody of the two abducted Korean citizens,” the ministry said in a statement.

“Both people are currently in good health, and after a hospital checkup, they moved to a safe area and spoke with their families.”

SaharaReporters earlier reported that the expatriate were taken on Tuesday, December 12, after gunmen attacked a convoy of Daewoo workers along the East-West Road in Rivers State, killing four soldiers and two drivers.

A security source, who confirmed the attack, said the suspected kidnappers ambushed a team of expatriates being escorted by troops of the 5 Battalion along Ahoada-Obua in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

The source said, “During the attack, the assailants opened fire on the convoy killing four soldiers and two civilian drivers and subsequently abducted two Koreans in the process.”

“Details are still sketchy but efforts are ongoing to get more details from the units. Further details will be forwarded as soon as possible,” 
the source added.

Attacks by militants in the Niger Delta have dwindled over the years. But the region is volatile and suffers from crude oil theft and vandalism of pipelines, which has taken a toll on Nigeria’s oil output.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Wale Busari

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *