Members of the National Executive of the National Network for Good Governance ( NNGG), a Civil Society Group that supports good governance and accountable leadership, yesterday, Monday, February 17, 2020, met in Abuja and received submissions on happenings across the different States of the Federation.
- While we noted the different issues relating to elections, security and threat to peace a cross our nation, we have in a communiqué scheduled for release tomorrow praised the actions of our security agencies, the courts, INEC and, indeed, other institutions for governance and public policies for standing up to independent decisions and outcomes that have really pointed out that our nation is on our way of building strong, enduring and independent institutions over strong men and leaders.
- We, however, observed with dismay that a group, which goes by a self- style name Coalition Against Corruption, with no known address anywhere across the country, has scheduled to hold a protest tomorrow, Wednesday, February 19, 2020, to, as it were, offer “solidarity” with the EEFC to continue an investigation against the former Governor of ABIA State, Sen. T. A Orji and his son, Rt. Hon. Chinedum Orji, Speaker, ABIA State House of Assembly.
- As innocuous as the position of the aforementioned group may seem, we are, however, worried that its so-called solidarity rally, however well-intentioned, may end up sending the wrong signals to the world to think that a reputable crime and corruption- fighting institution like the EFCC, which has in recent times secured many landmark anti- corruption convictions to the applause of the world, is now being assisted, influenced by public demonstration of hate or condemnation, to do its job!
- Being mindful of the dangers inherent in this act, as responsible associations under one group, we call on the police and other security agencies to STOP fort with the solidarity walk scheduled for Wednesday, February 19, 2020, in Abuja by members of the Coalition Against Corruption.
6.We wish to also add that if the group’s protest cannot be stopped for any reasons, part of which might be to satisfy their paid sponsors, we hereby notify the Honourable IGP of our intention to also stage a counter protest in Abuja tomorrow, Wednesday, February 19, 2020, starting from 10.00 Hours at Unity Fountain, Maitama, Abuja.
- While thanking the police for your usual cooperation, we, equally, call on you for protection, even as we urge that you accept the assurances of our high consideration and esteemed regards.
For and on behalf of ourselves:
Comrade Idika Okoro Ibe
Comrade Okonta Udeogu Simeon. Secretary
Comrade. Matilda Orji Ada