Hours after his suspension as the national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) by a Rivers high court, Prince Uche Secondus, has finally reacted.
Akelicious reports that the embattled chairman said he is not afraid of the court injunction barring him from parading himself as chairman of the opposition party.
It was gathered that Secondus’s media adviser, Ike Abonyi,told the newspaper in a WhatsApp message late night on Monday, August 23, that his principal would defend himself in court.
“The media office of the national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been inundated with calls from media houses on a press statement sent to newsrooms by one Kelvin Ebiri, special assistant, media to the Rivers state governor, Bar Nyesom Wike announcing that court restrains Secondus from parading himself as national chairman, member of the PDP.
“If Secondus and the party are taken to court, they will defend themselves. The PDP and Secondus are not afraid of court. This party is a child of history, owned by Nigerians, bigger than any individual or group, including desperadoes.”
Earlier, the embattled national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), says he will not resign despite the mounting pressure.
The Nation reported that the PDP leader said the “minority”calling for his resignation should explain his offence.
It was gathers that Secondus made this known in a statement released in Abuja by his media aide, Ike Abonyi.
Secondus said he will remain focused and committed to the ideal of the lead opposition party,Leadership also reported .
The statement reads:
“The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party,PDP, Prince Uche Secondus has said that he will not resign his position.
“Prince Secondus said in a short statement from his media office that nothing so far warrants his resignation from the party position and those tiny minority calling for his resignation should come clean and tell party members across the country his offense why he should resign.
“He said he will remain focussed and committed to the ideals of the party which he swore to protect and defend upon his election to lead this great party 44 months ago.”
However, Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers state has insisted that the present National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) cannot lead the party to victory in 2023, hence the pursuit for its replacement.
The governor maintained that the internal crisis that was witnessed recently in the party shows the failure of the NWC led by Prince Uche Secondus to effectively carry out its responsibility as an opposition political party.
Wike, who revealed this on national television in Port Harcourt on Tuesday, August 17, said the PDP remains the only credible alternative party that Nigerians were expecting to take over power in 2023.
The governor’s remarks were relayed by his media aide, Kelvin Ebiri, in a statement titled ‘PDP need new, robust, determined NWC to win 2023 general elections-Governor Wike.