West Ham are interested in Manchester City and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips.
Phillip has made just 10 appearances so far this season and City are willing to let the 28-year-old leave in January.
However, despite interest from numerous clubs including Newcastle and Juventus, there has been no agreement.
City’s demand for a loan fee for the former Leeds man, who signed for £45m in July 2022, is thought to be a stumbling block.
They believe they are justified in taking their stance given Phillips remains a member of Gareth Southgate’s England squad and is likely to go to the European Championships this summer if he can get regular playing time.
West Ham boss David Moyes is eager to strengthen a squad that has been weakened by a succession of injuries.
Lucas Paqueta and Michail Antonio are both out for an extended period, while Moyes said Mexico midfielder Edson Alvarez had missed Tuesday’s FA Cup defeat at Championship side Bristol City with a calf problem.
Earlier this week, Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson also confirmed they would be interested in Phillips if they could make the deal work financially.
“He’s a good player,” said Hodgson.
“I don’t feel there will be many managers who would not say ‘yeah, we will be really happy to have him come to the club’.
“If [Manchester City] are going to sell him, then I don’t think we will be in the market. If they’re going to loan him, I would like to think that we could possibly put our hand up and push ourselves forward.
“What we could then offer is the chance to play regular football in the Premier League in the build-up to what will be a very important summer for England and him.”