Kogi: Polytechnic students die after inhaling generator fumes

The police in Kogi State say two persons have lost their lives after reportedly inhaling carbon monoxide from a petrol-powered energy generating set.

The victims, who were identified as Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, and Ibrahim Haliru, were students of the Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja.

The Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP William Ovye Aya confirmed the tragic incident to newsmen on Thursday.

According to him, a generating set was stationed close to the window of the deceased victims which made it easy for the harmful emission to waft into their apartment and killed them while they were sleeping.

The lifeless bodies of the duo were reportedly recovered in the room by neighbours in the early hours of the day.

Another student who was occupying the same room with the deceased students survived and had since been rushed to the hospital.

“There were three students from Kogi Polytechnic inside the room. One Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, Ibrahim Haliru and Mercy Ojochegbe.

“When they slept inside their room, a generator was switched on close to the window of their apartment.

“They all slept off and inhaled carbon monoxide as a result of the generator set that was on.

“Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were already dead when neighbors discovered the sad incident in the morning, while Mercy Ojochegbe who was still breathing was immediately rushed to the hospital.

“The incident was reported at the B division of the Nigeria Police Force, Lokoja and investigation is ongoing,” he stated.

He admonished residents to always be safety conscious to avert carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes.

He said, “People should be very careful once they are using a generator set in their homes.

“They should give it a distance and also it should not be closer to the window where they are living.

“Some may say because of the fear that people will come and steal the generator, they won’t apply these safety precautions. It is wrong.

“It is when someone is alive that he or she would be able to accomplish things in this world. Safety should always be our watchword.”

Recommended For You

About the Author: Olusola Sorinmade

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *