The Owerri Custodial Centre in Imo State has released a blow-by-blow account of how the centre was attacked by gunmen early Monday.
It said the attackers stormed the facility at 02:15 on Monday morning.
They arrived in several Hilux van and Sienna buses, armed with sophisticated weapons.
Upon arrival, engaged security personnel on duty in a “fierce gun battle”.
They gained entrance into the yard by using explosives to blast the administrative block.
They eventually detonated the explosive “to gain entrance”.
A total 1,844 inmates in custody were forcefully released.
The Acting Controller-General of Corrections, John Mrabure has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the incident and in collaboration with other security organizations, commenced a search and recover operations to recapture the fleeing inmates.
He equally directed all officers attached to custodial facilities to “remain vigilant at this trying moment in our history”, said Francis Enobore, public relations officer of NCoS.
At last count, six inmates have so far voluntarily returned to the facility while 35 inmates refused to escape from custody during the attack.