Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige on Friday visited the National Hospital Abuja to see those that allegedly sustained injuries when the organised labour picketed his private residence in Asokoro Abuja.
Recall that Labour and the Minister had been at loggerheads over Ngige’s refusal to inaugurate Frank Kokori, a former General Secretary of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers Union(NUPENG) as board chairman of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund.
At the Trauma Center of the hospital, the Labour Minister said, “We finished a function in the Villa now. Because I heard in the media that some members of the NLC who came to an early morning picketing in my house were manhandled and injured and I saw photographs of people who were said to be on admission and even somebody on life support.
“So I felt that it was incumbent on me to come over here and sympathize with those people and know progress they are making in terms of their well-being, that’s why I am here. But my first port of call was to meet with the Chief Medical Director who now accompanied me to see them. I met the Chief Medical Director he said he wanted to get his records straight from the Trauma Centre. That’s what brought us here.”
Fielding question from journalists, CMD, Dr. Momoh said that the persons were attended to and seven were discharged while two were kept overnight, adding that the two left within 24 hours they were brought to the hospital.
According to him,” On the morning of 8th May at about 10:50am which is this last Wednesday, nine people were brought here by group of other people who told us the medical team on ground that they had been assaulted.
“Nine of them were seen by our medical team and attended to including doing chaste x-ray and some other investigations that were necessary. Seven of them did not require any further treatment or need for administration, two were admitted overnight and discharged the following morning home.”