37 Miners Feared Dead in Carbon Monoxide Tragedy at Plateau Mining Site

Miners

At least 37 miners have reportedly died after being exposed to carbon monoxide while working at an underground mining site in Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday as the miners were extracting zinc. During the operation, toxic gas reportedly filled the tunnels, leading to a collapse within the mining site.

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground.

Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.
Twenty-five other miners who survived the exposure have been taken to a nearby health facility, where they are currently receiving medical treatment.

Confirming the incident, the Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, described the deaths of the young men as worrisome and tragic, especially as they occurred during the holy month of Ramadan, when many Muslims are observing fasting and prayers.

He stated that the mining site has been secured to prevent further casualties and to enable investigators to determine the exact cause of the gas leak.

He also appealed to the state and federal governments to come to the aid of the victims and their families, noting that the incident has left a painful impact on the community.

The member representing Wase State Constituency said efforts are ongoing to support the victims, while investigations into the incident continue.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Akelicious

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *